The construction of St. Mary’s Cathedral was undertaken in 1227 by the Dominican friars. It was consecrated as an Estonian cathedral in 1240.
St. Nicholas’ Church
The congregational church of St. Nicholas was founded after 1230 as a fortification-church.
St. Olaf’s Church
Congregational church dedicated to the Norwegian Saint Olaf, first mentioned in 1262.
Church and almshouse of the Holy Spirit
Founded in the 13th century. Church also functioned as the town hall chapel.
St. Michael’s Convent
It was founded in 1249 as a Cistercian convent for nuns. The church dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel (from 1716 Transfiguration of Our Lord) was built above the former Saint Wenzel chapel (1220). Since 1631, the rooms of the convent are used by the Gustav Adolf Grammar School.
St. Catherine’s Monastery
In its present location since 1246 or 1262. The church dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria was in ruins by 1531. The later St. Peter and St. Paul’s Cathedral (1844) was built above the Dominican monastery’s refectory.
Courtyard of Kärkna Abbey
From the 13th century until the Reformation, 13 and 15 Vene Street were the location of the town residence of the Cistercian monastery near Tartu, incorporating both the living quarters and storerooms.
Courtyard of Padise Abbey
Located on the left side of 12 Vene Street. From the 13th century until the Reformation, it was the location of the Dünamünde Abbey and subsequently became the town residence of the Padise Cistercian monastery, incorporating both the living quarters and storerooms.
Courtyard of Kolga Abbey
Located on the right side of 12 Vene Street. Since the 13th century, it was the location of the town residence of the Kolga Cistercian monastery, incorporating both the living quarters and storerooms. Its parent abbey was the Gutwall or Roma Abbey on the island of Gotland.
In the 13th century, it housed the oldest mint of the town.
St. Canute’s Guild before 1322. It consisted of two gable-roofed houses, to which a third was added during reconstruction (1864). It united German artisans.
St. Olaf’s Guild before 1341. It consisted of two long buildings stretching from Pikk Street to Pühavaimu Street (left – front hall, right – great hall). Until the end of the 17th century, the guild united primarily Estonian and Swedish craftsmen. Later the building was incorporated into the possession of the Brotherhood of Blackheads.
End of Olevimägi (Raudvärava) Street
Russian trading centre with St. Nicholas’ Church. Before 1382, it was located on the so-called Tabor Hill between the city wall and Pikk Street behind the present-day Sulevimägi Street. It included the living quarters used in summers and warehouses, but also an orthodox church and a cemetery. In the 14th century, it was transferred to Vene Street, where current St. Nicholas’ Church is located.
In 1310, there was already a moat surrounding the entire town centre. On the southern side, the construction of a stone wall around the city began in 1310 and the wall was completed in its original form by the end of the Danish era, but the gate structures with towers were completed in 1456.
City wall near Hobuveski
In 1265, Margaret Sambiria, Queen of Denmark, ordered the citizens of Tallinn and vassal knights to build a protective stone wall around the city. Initially, it was only approximately 80 cm thick and 4.5 m high, while towers were 9 to 10 metres high. The wall, the towers, and the city gates were modernized and reinforced with the arrival of firearms up until the middle of the 16th century.
From the Nun’s Tower to Loewenschede Tower
The convent founded in 1249 was surrounded by a city wall from 1310. Then, the construction of the tower also began. Sauna Tower was named after the sauna of the nuns located at its foot. The name of the Golden Leg Tower is probably related to its former weather vane.
This street is likely to have connected the fortress of ancient Estonians to the port already in the Viking age. The first structure of the Big Fortress of Toompea built there during the Middle Ages was likely to have been the fortification tower of Valdemar II of Denmark constructed during the years 1219–1220 on the site of the current flag tower of the Embassy of Finland.
Toompea Castle (the Small Fortress)
The construction of the first castle-like stone fortress was begun by the knights of the Livonian Brothers of the Sword in 1227. The works were continued by the Danes in 1238 to build a royal residence for the deputy ruler. The three circular corner towers that have survived to this day originate from a later period in the 15th century when the land was under the rule of the Livonian Order.
In 1310, it belonged to the Knight Johannes de Revalia. The building has been subsequently upgraded.
In 1319, it belonged to burgermeister Wenemar Hollogher. The main walls of the house have survived to this day.
Raekoja plats 14
In 1320, it belonged to Hinricus Mester. The building has been upgraded later.
Lai 47 (Hobuveski)
Built probably in the 13th century. Approximately between 1316–1320, associated with the Horsemole family. It was particularly important when during the sieges of the town, the water mills on the edge of the moat stopped due to the closure of the Ülemiste Canal.
In 1335, it belonged to Reineke Crouwel who later became a burgermeister. The building has been upgraded.
Pakkhoone on the Street of Vana turg
According to folklore, before the fire of 1288, this was the location of Tallinn’s first town hall. Later, three granaries were built there, which were joined in the 17th century.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.